The Visionary Vocalist Forum
The gear - Printable Version

+- The Visionary Vocalist Forum (http://thevisionaryvocalistforum.com)
+-- Forum: Recording (http://thevisionaryvocalistforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Gear Talk (http://thevisionaryvocalistforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The gear (/showthread.php?tid=28)

Pages: 1 2 3

The gear - ronws - 10-01-2016

I have some musical instruments. I have:

Memphis copy Les Paul Standard (with PAF style pick-ups.)
Hondo copy Flying V (it is currently my avatar) with humbucker pick-ups
Spectrum Acoustic (with onboard piezoelectric puck-up and volume and tone controls)
Yamaha C45M Classical Guitar (it's just plain sexy and sounds so good.)
Kat KTMP 1 percussion pad and some drum sticks
Casio LK-165 keyboard
Gremlin bass guitar (just got that recently at a pawn shop)
Fender 85 combo amp (decal claims 200 watts rms and I believe it.)
Roland GS-6 (professional rack mount) guitar effects processor / modeler (it inspired later devices, such as the Line 6 Pod)

For the computer, I have:

M-Audio M-Track two - channel interface
Fame CM-1 LDC studio mic
MXL V67G LDC studio mic
Sennheiser E835 dynamic mic

Of course, mic stand, pop filter, a few different mic mounts. Instrument cables (1/4 inch), and instrument to xlr cable, xlr to xlr cable, and a MIDI cable. 

The casio can do MIDI through a USB cable. The GS-6, built back in the late 80's, as MIDI in and out. So, I could conceivably play an instrument through it like a MIDI controller and have the DAW I use, Reaper, to play anything.

That's another thing I would consider gear is my DAW, which is Reaper. I started with Audacity and it still has value but I am totally sold on Reaper for everything.

I also have an old acoustic guitar with a broken brace that I had bought at a flea market in Kleburg, Texas back in the 90's. I need to get rid of that and I need to either sell or donate the Les Paul because I don't play it anymore and it should go to someone one who would want it.

I have a Holmes 8 watt practice amp that would also be great for recording.

I have a Tascam 4-track (cassette) recording machine that was made in the late 80's.

A long time ago, as a kid, I had a Panasonic portable recorder, 5 inch reel-to-reel.

RE: The gear - ClassicalToContemporary - 10-03-2016

I'm a "typical" classical musician LOL I have my primary instrument (voice) and a piano.

I have a violin I haven't played in about 8 years. I played in college for two years or so.
I bought a ukulele because a student wanted to learn. Only took a few lessons, but it was enough to pay for the instrument, so whatever LOL
I have a keyboard that I don't really use.
There's a mic and stand my friend gave me instead of giving it back to its owner LOL
Um...I think that's all I have Smile

RE: The gear - YouCanSingAnything - 10-06-2016

I have some strange gear... maybe not strange haha. Some secret gear Wink.

My audio interface
Steinberg UR22 - I found obscure tests on forums comparing the UR22 to other pieces of gear and it was milliseconds faster!! Also it's cheap and has a midi port.

Preamp

M-Audio DMP3 - I probably don't need this but it was pretty cheap. It's a discontinued model which simply provides extra clean gain to my audio interface. Helps prevent some hissing I suppose.

Mics
Heil PR-22UT - A strange dynamic mic. It is very, very crispy and bright. It's the most natural sounding dynamic I've ever heard in this price range.

ISK DM-58 - A canadian knock of of the SM58. I give it to students most of the time. It has more presence than the SM58 and it's half the cost.

Warbler MK VI D - I haven't used this one as much as I should. It's my baby and only expensive mic ($400.) It's a chinese knock of of more expensive models but it sounds amazing. It has a switch which toggles between 3 different microphones! Pretty cool.

Headphones

ISK HD 9999 - Isolated headphones! Super accurate and natural sounding for recording vocals. Most other isolated cans in this price range are quite muffled and grumbly.

AKG K240 Studio - Love these! Semi-closed, super accurate vocals. Though it lacks in bass frequencies and can be a bit "thin" sounding, I haven't come across anything better in the price range for vocals!

I have a classical and an acoustic guitar as well =p. Just too lazy to see what they are! Haha

RE: The gear - poochypooch - 10-06-2016

No vocal gear to speak of...I'm still left using my phone for recording. As for instruments, I have a Taylor 320 acoustic, a G&L Strat, an Epiphone SG, and a plastic Yamaha clarinet (yeah, that's right, I play clarinet Tongue) I'm also a bit of an audiophile, so I have Audeze LCD2 headphones, Sennheiser HD600's, and Audio Technica M50's.

RE: The gear - ronws - 10-06-2016

I am a little jealous, pooch. I would love to have an SG. Either Epiphone or Gibson. I saw an interview with Angus Young. The big reason he went with that guitar (Gibson SG) is because he is a small guy with small hands. It was light with a neck he could fit around.

I am the opposite, a giant with big hands and long fingers.

The other thing I like about Angus is that there is no specific practice time. According to others, such as Mark Evans, long time bass player for AC/DC, Angus wakes up with tea and biscuits and a cigarette. Other than potty breaks, he just plays all day, noodling around. Now, that's focus. I don't think he could have done anything else.

(10-06-2016, 01:29 AM)ronws Wrote: I am a little jealous, pooch. I would love to have an SG. Either Epiphone or Gibson. I saw an interview with Angus Young. The big reason he went with that guitar (Gibson SG) is because he is a small guy with small hands. It was light with a neck he could fit around.

The other thing I like about Angus is that there is no specific practice time. According to others, such as Mark Evans, long time bass player for AC/DC, Angus wakes up with tea and biscuits and a cigarette. Other than potty breaks, he just plays all day, noodling around. Now, that's focus. I don't think he could have done anything else.

Kind of what I do with guitar haha. I still find time to just noodle for hours. It's kind of cathartic for me. I used to prefer my SG leaps and bounds above my strat, Now, it's a little closer, but I still like the fat tones of the humbuckers on the SG- especially good for heavy riffing in drop D and such. And btw, Epiphone SG's are dirt cheap. I'm seeing them on ebay with a price hovering around $200, and I guarantee you could find one for cheaper than that.

RE: The gear - Kevinmattw - 10-06-2016

- M-Audio M Track 2
- Audio Technica AT 2020
- CAD U37
- Shure SM 57

- M-Audio Keystation 49
- Fender std. Stratocaster
- Fender std. Jazz Bass
- Fender 12 string acoustic
- Mitchell MD 100SCE 6 string acoustic
- Kala Soprano ukulele

- Fender Bassman 150
- Fender Rumble 25
- Orange Crush 12
- Boss OD/Distortion, Chorus, Bass Limiter

(10-06-2016, 01:29 AM)ronws Wrote: I am a little jealous, pooch. I would love to have an SG. Either Epiphone or Gibson. I saw an interview with Angus Young. The big reason he went with that guitar (Gibson SG) is because he is a small guy with small hands. It was light with a neck he could fit around.

Also forgot to mention that I have a Boss GT100 mfx unit, which I have a lot of fun with.

RE: The gear - ronws - 10-08-2016

I used to have an MXR ten-band eq (stomp box.) And a real Cry-Baby Wah Wah pedal.

RE: The gear - poochypooch - 10-08-2016

(10-08-2016, 01:54 AM)ronws Wrote: I used to have an MXR ten-band eq (stomp box.) And a real Cry-Baby Wah Wah pedal.

What happened to them?