The Visionary Vocalist Forum
Extend Vocal Range insight - Printable Version

+- The Visionary Vocalist Forum (http://thevisionaryvocalistforum.com)
+-- Forum: The Voice (http://thevisionaryvocalistforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://thevisionaryvocalistforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Extend Vocal Range insight (/showthread.php?tid=980)

Extend Vocal Range insight - opeth222 - 08-26-2017

So I've asked a few questions on here about this subject before. Was listening to a old podcast of the naked vocalist earlier today, about extending your vocal range. And in the one section they mentioned that when you use occluded sounds like lip rolls, straws, or tongue rolls and Get way up in that high range. Said when you do this enough times it starts to create some perment elasticity in one of the muscles. Can't remember which one. And doing this often overtime will help you to hit those high notes easier. This seemed to click in my head for some reason. Like a revalation..
What do u guys think about this thinking?

RE: Extend Vocal Range insight - ronws - 08-26-2017

What matters is if it works for you. Because you will get opinions for and against and really, just try it for yourself.

RE: Extend Vocal Range insight - opeth222 - 08-27-2017

(08-26-2017, 11:10 PM)ronws Wrote: What matters is if it works for you. Because you will get opinions for and against and really, just try it for yourself.

Patience is advise I get alot. I def believe that. Work on developing ur current range and the notes will come. Been doing that but no new higher notes have come yet. Guess I'll just keep plugging away with this see what happens. Ur right someone will probably tell me it's bad. I just don't want to cause any damage...

RE: Extend Vocal Range insight - ronws - 08-27-2017

Well, it helps to remember that any reasoned and measured approach to improvement will yield quicker results, at least in the short term, than nothing at all.

But plenty of teachers, including Tristan, are right. It is better to save range extension for later. Better to work first on controllable volume and tone, and range will come along. Certainly lip bubbles may help you warm up. And in the sense of staying toward closed vowel sounds, lip bubbles can help you to isolate muscles that are active in going to higher parts of range. And that is what we are talking about. In 7 years, I have probably seen less than five people come into a forum looking for help to extend the range down to baritone and basso notes. Pretty much, everyone is trying to get above D4 with a usable volume and satisfying tone that is something other than falsetto, though falsetto is good and has its uses, in just about every style of music, for that matter.

And Tsitzi is certainly a recognized expert with the straw thing. But you might check with Tristan who has spoken with him in person, where he has modified what he thinks is the value of the straw exercise. To me, straw exercise is more likely to create back pressure, which will help modify and check your breath management. You will find that not one air speed works through out. You will vary that, too.

So, continue with your work and you will achieve progress. I always remember what I learned from Graham Hewitt. "If you can sing it soft, you can sing it loud." But loud does not mean maximum air push. Loud is a matter of resonance.

RE: Extend Vocal Range insight - poochypooch - 08-29-2017

(08-27-2017, 12:30 AM)opeth222 Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 11:10 PM)ronws Wrote: What matters is if it works for you. Because you will get opinions for and against and really, just try it for yourself.

Patience is advise I get alot. I def believe that. Work on developing ur current range and the notes will come. Been doing that but no new higher notes have come yet. Guess I'll just keep plugging away with this see what happens. Ur right someone will probably tell me it's bad. I just don't want to cause any damage...

I have worked on vocal range for about a year. I can now belt a D5 and scream a G5. However, there is a caveat: my tone isn't that great, nor is my pitch. I have no problem sustaining these notes, but they don't sound great. I'd advise you to not put the cart before the horse and develop your tone and work it up throughout your range so you don't become the one trick pony I am.